Everyone should have the chance to participate and experience camp.
We're committed to developing an environment which is inclusive to the needs of diverse groups. We aim to support the diverse needs of all children, young people and their families including those who are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, are from culturally or linguistically diverse backgrounds, have a cognitive or physical disability or identify as LGBTQIA+.
Here's some other examples of how we practice inclusion at the Y:
- Howman's Gap Alpine Centre includes an Access All Abilities (AAA) Building which is purpose-built to provide people with a disability access to alpine experiences. The building includes the only Changing Places bathroom above the snowline in Australia, to meet the needs of people with disabilities and their carers. Take a video tour of the AAA Building.
- Lady Northcote Recreation Camp includes gender-neutral toilets for our campers. These were opened in 2018 because we recognised a growing number of young people who identify as transgender or gender diverse and we want everyone to feel welcomed, accepted and comfortable at our camps, so they can have positive, memorable experiences.
- In 2019, Anglesea Recreation Camp hosted a skate camp for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people. This was led by Brodie Jarrett, Australia's best known and highest ranking Indigenous skateboarder. Our camps provide an opportunity for young indigenous Australians to be included and learn from positive role models in a safe environment.
- In 2019, Mt Evelyn Recreation Camp delivered disability training for the inclusive program Access All Terrain, in partnership with Parks Victoria. The program focuses on giving people with disabilities and mobility limitations the opportunity to experience the joy and freedom of camping outdoors.
- Camp Manyung includes an accessible universal high ropes course, and guests with disabilities can access our specialised wheelchairs to give them greater freedom to join in on all the fun!
So if your group has any specific needs, please feel free to contact us.